ssh issues

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Thu May 5 21:07:00 GMT 2011

On 5/5/2011 3:31 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> Hopefully this is a FAQ in some place that I've missed...

Maybe not a FAQ but its a common complaint by people using VS; you might
find more information on this list by searching over Visual Studio
(which I don't use).

> I have an XP machine set up for doing builds via ssh.  This works fine
> with one problem: when ssh is started normally as a service, there's
> some obscure Visual Studio problem (it complains about some
> misconfiguration).  To solve it, I always kill sshd and start it from
> a bash shell on the machine.  It's tedious but not too much since the
> machine is rarely rebooted.  (I also have a monitor for this: it uses
> ssh to log to the machine and then looks for sshd in the ps output.)
>
> But now I'm trying to set up a Windows 7 build machine, and things get
> more complicated in a way that I think is related to the above.  The
> first thing that fails (after I start sshd as myself, similarly to the
> XP box) is running the vcvarsall.bat in the devstudio directory --
> that fails with a "Cannot determine the location of the VS Common
> Tools folder", which I tracked down to uses of some `reg' command that
> fail.  The thing is that it works fine when running on a bash shell on
> the machine, but fails through ssh.
>
> Any pointers?

Environment variables.  When you login using ssh you get a different set
than the ones your Windows login has, including a modified PATH.
--
René Berber