CYGWIN

Illia Bobyr Illia.Bobyr@ronin-capital.com
Fri May 6 16:16:00 GMT 2011

On 5/6/2011 10:27 AM, rdickert@cinci.rr.com wrote:

> Technical assistance required - TIA
>
> I'm presently a software packager taking applications from XP and
> porting them/repackaging them
> to W7 - 64-bit.  The current version on site is  1.5.12 and I believe
> the latest is 1.7.9-1.
>
> In order to package this correctly, I need to find out all of the
> modules / apps that are being
> installed into cygwin

"cygcheck -c -d" will list all the packages installed into the current
Cygwin environment along with their versions.
This will give you a list of package names in a pkg.list file:

cygcheck -c -d | tail -n +3 | awk '{print $1}' > pkg.list

> and then select/install those same modules on the W7 platform.

setup.exe can download selected packages, I guess, along with all the
dependencies and it can install from a local directory.
It also can be controlled from the command line (see "setup.exe --help").
It seems that it would be possible to download all the packages from a
list on one machine and then install them on another machine, but I can
not make setup download a list of packages from a file.  I images that
this would work:

/c/Installs/Cygwin/setup --download --local-package-dir
'c:\temp\local-packages' --packages $(< pkg.list)

but it does not...

Another option would be fetching the packages from one of the mirrors.
For example http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/cygwin/release/.
There is a file that setup uses to map package names to the
corresponding files: http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/cygwin/setup.ini
A rather simple awk script can give you a list of URL to fetch given a
list of package names.  But, considering that I am not 100% sure that I
got your initial question right I'm not writing it right now ;)
Besides, maybe someone will show how to use setup.exe for the task.

> The other issue is I need to download the complete version without
> running setup as the firewall/proxy
> won't cooperate with setup.exe.

Setup.exe can deal with proxies.  If your IE can fetch files, setup.exe
should be able as well.
Just use the IE settings in the setup.exe.
Alternatively, if your IE is using a script to configure its proxy
settings, just download the script - for me it is a simple JavaScript
and the proxy IP is right there.

Ilya Bobyr