Who's using "CYGWIN=tty" and why?

Henry S. Thompson ht@inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon May 9 16:21:00 GMT 2011

Corinna Vinschen writes:

> Chris and I are wondering how many people are using the Windows console
> as local console window in CYGWIN=tty mode and why.

I am one such.

> Here's why we ask:
>
> We are both not sure why anybody would use it voluntarily, given that
> it's I/O is extremly slow, compared to using a Windows console window in
> the default CYGWIN=notty mode or, even better, mintty.  Actually, we
> only keep the console tty mode up because it was "always there", 14
> years or so.

Um, history is sticky, is I guess the answer.  When I started using
cygwin (a _long_ time ago), CYGWIN=tty was the recommended setting
(and isn't it still there in cygwin/cygwin.bat ?).  So I have
faithfully copied that into my Windows environment initialisation ever
since.  Is it time to remove it?  I do use a windows console
occasionally for pure Windows activities---what change(s) will I see?

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk