Who's using "CYGWIN=tty" and why?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer@wayne.edu
Mon May 9 17:41:00 GMT 2011

Hi all,

At the risk of exciting the contempt avalanche all too pervasive in this
list (never at any time by Corinna--THANKS):

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the DOS console and the
Windows console. And, truth to tell, I've been around here for a good long
time and never heard of CYGWIN=notty. However:

BRLTTY is a screen reading system that enables the use of refreshable
braille devices (see below). It works on Linux and other unixes both in
console mode and as an adjunct to the Unix GUI screen reader (Orca). It also
works at the DOS command prompt, and gloriously beautifully in Cygwin. I
tried mintty once and brltty would not read that window. Whether this can be
changed by the developers I don't know. I've sporadically tried things like
rxvt and when they didn't work right off the bat I didn't bother anymore
since brltty is really splendid. For what it's worth, here's my cygwin.bat.
Exactly how much of it is necessary and what the costs of what changes might
be I don't know:

@echo off

c:
chdir c:\cygwin\bin
set HOME=c:\cygwin\home\<me>
set LANG=en_US.UTF-8
set CYGWIN=tty notitle glob
bash --login -i

The rest of this message is for the merely curious:

What's a refreshable braille device: It's a box that has a smooth wire
screen on the top. There are pins below the holes in this wire screen. The
pins can be pushed up through the holes (these are dots) or pulled down
below them (these are non-dots). These pins are in eight rows corresponding
to the eight rows of dots in a braille cell (eight on the computer, six for
standard paper braille). There are from 18 to 84 of these 8-dot cells across
the length of the wire screen, and there are buttons on the braille device
to move this 18-to-84 character window around on the screen.

What's "splendid" about brltty in Cygwin? Other Windows screen readers have
braille, but frequently it skips blank lines for reasons I don't begin to
comprehend. Brltty doesn't skip them. So it's much easier to tell the screen
layout in brltty than with the braille from a Windows screen reader. Brltty
is also more responsive and more accurate (it doesn't spuriously underline
letters, one of the problems with braille in other screen readers). While
the Windows screen reader I use (JAWS) can see the Cygwin text, not all can.
Narrator is a part of the Windows OS; it's on every Windows computer. It
can't see the text in Cygwin at all.

I've included the brltty developers on this message and will send them
Corinna's original so you may hear from somebody who knows what they're
talking about. :-)

Castigation, Mastication and Denigration cheerfully accepted,

--
Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University Computing Center