Using Cygwin Emacs

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon May 16 10:14:00 GMT 2011

On 5/16/2011 12:35 AM, Sayth Renshaw wrote:
> I have installed emacs and followed the instruction to create the
> emacs-shortcut.
>
> renshaw@RenshawResidence /usr/bin
> $ make-emacs-shortcut
> *** Info: Created /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml.
> *** Info: Created /usr/bin/emacs.lnk.
> *** Info: You should move it to the desired location.
> *** Info: Feel free to edit its properties
> *** Info: or the contents of /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml.
>
> However emacs will not run from the shortcut,

Did you install the mintty and run2 packages?  See
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README, under "Runtime requirements".

> so I tried running emacs
> from the bash shell, however it gave a message that this required the
> bourne shell. Is there a way to set the Bourne shell as default so i
> can launch emacs from it?

There's no need to change your default shell; emacs runs fine under
bash.  Could there be something in your .emacs file that's causing the
problem?  To eliminate this possibility, start emacs with the command
'emacs -Q', preferably in a mintty window.  If something goes wrong,
please copy and paste the error message in your reply.  Also, please
follow the problem-reporting guidelines at

   http://cygwin.com/problems.html

including the part about attaching the output of 'cygcheck -s -v -r'.

Ken