untarring symlinks with ../ fails randomly

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat May 28 22:21:00 GMT 2011

On 4/27/2011 11:54 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 09:50 AM, Dan Grayson wrote:
>> Here is a patch to tar that fixes the problem by using mtime instead of ctime.
>> Yes, it's not a problem with cygwin or tar, but I see no way for users to
>> figure out, under Windows, which processes are changing the status of their
>> files.
>
> Thanks for the investigation and patch.  mtime is easy to spoof, but
> this seems like a reasonable patch to avoid the worst of the BLODA
> issues.  I'll probably apply it and push out a new cygwin tar build
> soon.  I think the patch should remain cygwin-only, and not go upstream.

Hi Eric,

Are you still planning to get a new tar build out with this patch in the
near future?  The issue is causing problems for people installing
texlive on Cygwin, which involves untarring lots of symlinks.

Thanks.

Ken