Issue downloading appropriate DLLs for CDRTools

Jeremy Bopp jeremy@bopp.net
Thu Nov 10 16:21:00 GMT 2011

On 11/9/2011 15:43, Dr. Torsten Kühn wrote:
> A couple of days ago, I had serious problems finding the appropriate
> DLLs for a recent Win32-port of Jörg Schillings famous CDRTools.
> The port done by Thomas Plank available at
> http://www.student.tugraz.at/thomas.plank/cdrtools-3.01a06-win32-bin.zip
> is based on Cygwin.

Cygwin includes the wodim package which comes from cdrkit which itself
is a fork of cdrtools.  Install wodim and give it a try.  It has always
worked great for me.

> I intended to use CDRTools/ CDRecord as my only Cygwin-application
> (perhaps more one day), thus no current need install the entire Cygwin
> distribution.

A minimal Cygwin installation isn't that large, so it would be better to
go ahead and install one and add in the package you need.  You can
assemble things by hand if you like, but you'll be spending your own
time to deal with it as you discovered.

 > Alas, Thomas' package lacks a comprehensive set of DLLs
> required to run CDRecord standalone (the port has obviously been
> developed within a Cygwin environment, so the author could not track
> which DLLs exactly are required to run his binaries).

Thomas is likely aware of the licensing issues surrounding including the
Cygwin DLL and other supporting DLLs in his archive.  While the terms
aren't necessarily onerous, they may be more of a headache to comply
with than Thomas wants to bother.

> Apparently, the current download system relies on http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
> (562 KB, as of 2011/11/04). Alas, this tool cannot be used with my
> systems, as the dial-in host only runs LX-executables, and the Win32-
> computer intended to run CDRTools cannot access the internet via Squid
> neither, due to an unsupported onboard ethernet chip.

Setup.exe supports installing from a pre-downloaded set of package
files.  You can perform an Internet-based installation on a machine with
a functional Internet connection to get all the packages you'll want to
install and then copy the directory setup.exe creates to hold the
downloaded package files onto a DVD along with setup.exe itself.  You
should then be able to run setup.exe from that DVD and tell it to use
the package files already on the DVD for installation.

-Jeremy