Problems with updating nearly any package meant for Cygwin or using packages such as libtool

Jesse Ziser ziser@arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 16 20:05:00 GMT 2011

On 11/16/2011 1:34 PM, viper_88 wrote:

> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>
>> On 11/15/2011 2:28 PM, viper_88 wrote:
>>> The avalanche of my problems has started when I wanted to install
>>> compat-libstdc++ 33-3.2.3. The installation failed due to the following
>>> dependencies errors:
>>>
>>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>>           /sbin/ldconfig is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libc.so.6 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libgcc_s.so.1 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.3) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>           libm.so.6 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>
>> Hm.  This looks to me like output of rpm or yum on a Linux system.  If
>> you're trying to install Linux binary RPMs onto Cygwin, you're in for a
>> world of hurt.  Cygwin != Linux.  You need to build from source on Cygwin.
>>
>> --
>> Larry

>> A: Yes.
>>   >  Q: Are you sure?
>>   >>  A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>   >>>  Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
>>
>> --
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>>

> Hello there, Larry, and thank you for your reply.
>
> You were right, I indeed tried to install compat-libstdc++ using an RPM
> file. I am still learning Cygwin, so I wasn't sure whether it supports them
> or not (and the RPM's were the first to pop when searching for any sources).

It's not an issue of whether Cygwin supports RPMs.  It's an issue of
trying to install a Linux executable on Cygwin.  It doesn't matter
whether it's packaged in an RPM, it's still a Linux binary, not a Cygwin
binary.

> It seems, however, that now I have faced a problem with GLIBC, which is
> required to update GCC, that I won't be able to deal with (and I haven't
> updated libstdc++ due to this yet)...

 From the Cygwin FAQ (which I strongly recommend reading):

Where is glibc?

Cygwin does not provide glibc. It uses newlib instead, which provides
much (but not all) of the same functionality. Porting glibc to Cygwin
would be difficult.

THC-Hydra claims that it builds fine on Cygwin.  Does it not?

--
| Jesse Ziser, Code Warrior |