midnight commander does not see external USB hard drives on remote machine

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 12:35:00 GMT 2011

On 11/21/2011 5:44 AM, carolus wrote:
> On 11/20/2011 3:55 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
>> On 11/20/2011 3:59 PM, carolus wrote:
>>> Midnight commander does not see USB storage devices on a remote machine
>>> using an ssh connection. cd /cygdrive/f gives the message "no such file
>>> or directory" from within mc, but the same command works as expected
>>> from ssh.
>>
>> could you clarify a bit ?
>>
>> cygwin can not mount remote filesystem, so mc on cygwin lack also
>> such feature.
>>
>> I succeeded to explore a remote filesystem through the shell link,
>> but I suspect any options like copy and view are problematic,
>
> To copy is not a big problem. For example,
>
> scp junk.f $DELL
> (where DELL=dell03:/cygdrive/f/transit_ext)
>
> will copy junk.f to a directory on a USB hard drive on remote host
> dell03. Here I put the target directory in an environment variable so
> that I don't have to retype it. I would like to be able to navigate to
> the target directory on the remote filesystem without having to type
> exact long pathnames (sftp allows no wildcards in the remote cd
> command). I can do that with midnight commander on the remote system
> drive /cygdrive/c, but not on the remote USB HDD /cygdrive/f

I can only guess that mc is connecting with insufficient privileges /
different identity that ssh. I need to look how the FISH module is
performing the browsing on the remote computer, and I have
currently no clue of it.

I will not be able to test a ssh connection to another cygwin
computer, for at least one month as I am travelling for job.
So do not expect a short term solution.

Regards
Marco