gnome-keyring bug in snapshots

Wed Nov 30 04:14:00 GMT 2011

For some time now, snapshots have displayed a bug wrt gnome-keyring,
namely that passwords don't "register" when entered.  This wreaks
havoc on the GNOME desktop where so many programs rely on
gnome-keyring.

This is easy to reproduce, but requires xorg-server, dbus,
gnome-keyring, and openssh.  At a new terminal:

$ XWin -multiwindow &>/dev/null &
$ export DISPLAY=:0
$ eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`
$ export `gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=ssh`
$ ssh USER@HOSTNAME
(Enter password for ssh key in GUI prompt)

What should happen (and does with 1.7.9) is a successful login.  WIth
the 20111129 snapshot, the following message is displayed on the
terminal:

Agent admitted failure to sign using the key.

(which AFAIK comes from ssh) and the gnome-keyring prompt asks for the
password to the next private key listed in ~/.ssh/config (even if its
the wrong key for HOSTNAME).  Subsequent logins do succeed, however.
This does not occur with ssh-agent(1).

Frankly, I'm a little baffled by this one, but a non-working GNOME
desktop is really keeping me from testing the snapshots for any length
of time.

Yaakov
Cygwin/X