Passwordless sftp with ssh 5.9 still asks for password

Wed Nov 30 14:20:00 GMT 2011

On Nov 30 12:38, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Warren Young!
>
> >> Accept the default
> >> key location, C:\Documents and Settings\nhuser\.ssh\id_dsa,
>
> > Why would that be the default location, if you are using Cygwin tools?
> > Shouldn't it be something like c:\cygwin\home\nhuser\.ssh\...?
>
> Why?
>
> > You can change your HOME to anything you like, but that's not the default
> > with Cygwin.
>
> Are you sure?
> Last time I checked, $HOME in newly installed Cygwin point to the $USERPROFILE
> Which is, quite, logical.

Just to be clear, that's not done by the Cygwin DLL.  When setting HOME,
the order is very simple:

- If $HOME is already set in the environment, leave it alone.
- Otherwise, grab home dir from /etc/passwd.
- If /etc/passwd doesn't exist or if the homedir field is empty,
  set HOME to /home/$USER.

If $HOME points to $USERPROFILE, it's because that value is set in
/etc/passwd.  mkpasswd, for instance, reads the homedir path from the
local SAM or AD and uses it, unless the -p option is used.  Otherwise,
if -p isn't used and the SAM/AD homedir is empty, the fallback is
/home/$USER again.

Corinna

Red Hat