cygwin started speaking German today

Erwin Waterlander waterlan@xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 5 18:44:00 GMT 2011


Ken Brown schreef, Op 5-10-2011 20:23:
>
> I think you're mixing two questions that should be kept separate.  The 
> first is how /etc/profile.d/lang.{sh,csh} should set LANG.  That's a 
> question that the Cygwin developers and/or base-files maintainer need 
> to decide.  The second is whether libintl should override Cygwin's 
> locale settings.  Isn't the answer clearly no?  Why can't this be 
> fixed (in opposition to Bruno, if necessary) before a final decision 
> is made about /etc/profile.d/lang.{sh,csh}?
>
> I don't recall any complaints from Cygwin users about C.UTF-8 being 
> the default, but there have already been several complaints about the 
> new behavior of libintl.
>

Indeed, these are two separate issues.

My preference is that Cygwin follows by default regional the setting of 
Windows w.r.t. language. So on my Dutch Windows I prefer nl_NL.UTF-8 
over C.UTF-8.
Second, I prefer that libintl follows Cygwin's regional settins, and not 
Windows'.

-- 
Erwin Waterlander


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list