many problems solved...(restored backup from july)

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Tue Oct 11 21:14:00 GMT 2011




I had upgraded my cygwin to current versions in  august to get the new
version of bash.

After that I had so many problems...

X11 would crash whever I ran GTK based apps on my linux box,
I could no longer cut/paste between any X11 session window and non X11 
Window.

I'd get random coredumps and crashes, 'grep' would no longer work because
it thought it's name was 'pipefail'...

Well, win7 died system restore couldn't restore a font file in the media 
center folder,
thus the system wouldn't boot ("fatal -- missing system component')...
(Like I need the media center, at all, to boot, let alone 1 font!),... 
It's win7--it's got
computer autism (over-focused on details, often, irrelevant details to
the task at hand to the point of being unable to function).

Now everything works again.
Cut&paste, no more X11 crashes...
grep works again (don't know about coredumps...haven't run enough apps
to see ...but then
Bash back to 3.x, but think I can work around the bug in setup that
doesn't allow me to 'keep all', and select only items I want:

Currently if you select 'keep', it won't let you select any versions 
other than
'previous versions'...(!?)...but I figure if the setup.ini files 
describing the versions
are changed to describe  the new versions as 'previous', I might be able
to get selective install to work.

Anyway...

I wanted to share this experience -- for multiple reasons.
1) It wasn't my system setup that caused things to fail -- it was installing
the updated cygwin 'stuff' (sorry can't be too more specific, I can give
a current setup, but not a the previous (which would have been a more 
'recent'
version).    I.e. something changed in cygwin for the worse that caused 
alot more problems.
(yeah, real helpful...)...

(I'll attach a cygcheck of my current version for reference, I know I 
attached a cygcheck
of the 'future' install a few weeks back when I reported the X11 crash...

2) always good to keep around the old copies when installing new versions...
     (everything is best!...since the active of installing/uninstalling 
may not leave things
in a working state the way it 'used to be')....






-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: cygcheck-bck.out
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20111011/0730c9fa/attachment.ksh>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple


More information about the Cygwin mailing list