Problem w/ gdb 7.3.50-2 under emacs

Thu Oct 13 18:33:00 GMT 2011

On 13/10/2011 1:33 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> On 17/09/2011 8:51 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 9/13/2011 11:48 PM, Bill Priest wrote:
>>> All,
>>>        I updated gdb to 7.3.50-2 and I can no longer run M-x gdb under
>>> emacs inside rxvt (gdb core dumps).  Reverting back to 7.3.50-1 and it
>>> works.  The executable being debugged is built with gcc 4.5.3 and gdb
>>> under rxvt and ddd works.  Running M-x shell (/bin/sh) gdb also works.
>>>   Running M-x gdba fails identically  to M-x gdb.  The odd thing is
>>> that after "Reading symbols ... done" nothing is typed and the
>>> "Debugger segmentation fault (core dumped) occurs w/o typing a key.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> t.c
>>> --------------
>>> #include<stdio.h>
>>>
>>> int main(void)
>>> {
>>>   printf("Hello World\n");
>>>   return 0;
>>> }
>>> ---------------
>>>
>>> compiled with
>>> gcc -Wall -g -o t t.c
>>>

>>> Current directory is ~/
>>> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3.50.20110821-cvs (cygwin-special)
>>> Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or
>>> later<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>>> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>>> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show
>>> copying"
>>> and "show warranty" for details.
>>> This GDB was configured as "i686-cygwin".
>>> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
>>> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
>>> Reading symbols from /home/wpriest/t.exe...done.
>>> (gdb)
>>> Debugger segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>
>> I can confirm this.  Bug M-x gud-gdb seems to work fine.  I realize,
>> however, that it may not give you the graphical interface that you'd
>> like.
>>
>> Notice that when you use M-x gdb, emacs calls gdb with the
>> --annotate=3 option.  A google search suggests that this option is
>> obsolete.  I don't know if that's part of the problem or not.  I can
>> run gdb with that option outside of emacs and it doesn't segfault.
> I also encountered problems, though in my case gdb managed not only to
> hang, but also took emacs with it... I had to revert to the older
> version.
>
> Has anybody figured out what might be causing the issue?
Update: gdb (previous version and home-built) doesn't seg fault, but is
unable to run commands under the latest cygwin emacs: nothing happens
when you hit [enter], though it usually responds to ^C and comes back to
the gdb prompt. A home-built emacs works perfectly (at least, with the
previous version of cygwin gdb).

Ryan