1.7.9: login via ssh allows Administrator privileges

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Thu Oct 13 19:06:00 GMT 2011

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> Christian Franke<...>  writes:
>
>> Michael Hoffman wrote:
>>> When I log in via ssh I find I have Administrator privileges:
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Is there a way to turn this off or remove myself from the Administrators and
>>> root groups? I prefer not to have administrative access unless I explicitly
>>> request it.
>> Restarting the shell through cygdrop from cygutils package may help:
>>
>> # exec cygdrop /bin/bash -l
> Thanks for the helpful response! I was able to get the behavior I wanted by
> adding this to /etc/sshd_config:

You're welcome. I'm glad my cygdrop tool is useful here.

Meantime I noticed one difference: If Cygwin shell started normally from
explorer, UAC-Virtualization is effective. This is not the case if the
shell is started through cygdrop. Should not make much difference for
the typical use cases of Cygwin which normally do not change files below
$PROGRAMFILES or $WINDIR.

--
Christian Franke