Where is /bin/nologin

gwodus gwodusx@xsmail.com
Sat Oct 15 08:25:00 GMT 2011

Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote:

> On Oct 14 14:04, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> I would advice against giving any clues about account status, for
>> security
>> reasons.
>
> It's what Linux' /sbin/nologin' prints, too.  Actually it's the whole
> idea of /sbin/nologin' per the man page:
>
>   $ man nologin
>   NOLOGIN(8)                BSD System Manager's Manual
> NOLOGIN(8)
>
>   NAME
>        nologin — politely refuse a login
>   [...]
>
> Just `exit 0' should be replaced with `exit 1' since
>
>   [...]
>   nologin displays a message that an account is not available and exits
>   non-zero.
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat
>
> --

Nice script! Would be cool if it would be part of cygwin. Btw. was the
/etc/nologin.txt your addition? I think the original nologin doesn't even do
that. At least not on Debian, where I just checked.

Although in general I agree with Andrey. I forgot all about /bin/false. So I
am using that now. In fact I checked on my Linux box. I see that most
"no-shell" users have /bin/false in /etc/passwd (like ftp or mysql). But
others have nologin (e.g. user sshd on my machine).

Thanks,
gwodus.