/proc/*/cmdline corrupted

Mon Oct 17 08:28:00 GMT 2011

On Oct 16 16:59, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/16/11 14:31, jan.kolar wrote:
> >>jc807j    2668     1  0 08:59 tty0     00:00:00 xterm -e ssh server
> >80x72+285+0 -e ssh server
> >>jc807j    3004     1  0 08:59 tty0     00:00:00 xterm -e ssh server
> >>80x72-8+0 -e ssh server
> >>jc807j    2928  5852  0 09:12 ?        00:00:00 xterm  20000 +tb
> >>The actual command lines for the 3 xterm processes are:
> >>C:\cygwin\bin\xterm.exe -sl 20000 +tb -geometry 80x72+285+0 -e ssh server
> >>C:\cygwin\bin\xterm.exe -sl 20000 +tb -geometry 80x72-8+0 -e ssh server
> >>C:\cygwin\bin\xterm.exe -sl 20000 +tb
> >xterm calls XrmParseCommand() that
> >"parses an (argc, argv) pair according to the specified option table ... and
> >modifies the (argc, argv) pair to remove all recognized options."
> >
> >Therefore
> >          "-sl 20000 +tb -geometry 80x72+285+0"
> >is properly removed
> >and "-e ssh server" is moved to __argv[1 .. 3].
> >Then __argv[4] (respectively __argv[1] for the shorter command) is assigned
> >null pointer
> >which results in the second "\0" in the od-output below.
> >

> >HOWEVER:
> >
> >Either XrmParseCommand() does not update argc
> >or the change does not propagate (how would that be possible?) to __argc.
> >Therefore the command lines appear corrupted this particular way.
> >

> >/proc/*/cmdline  uses a copy of __argc named __argc_safe
> >which is hardly to be updated anyway.
> >"   for (int i = 0; i<  __argc_safe; i++) "
> >
> >Funny enough, /proc/self/cmdline is likely to contain shortened version of
> >cmdline:
> >"     for (char **a = __argv; *a; a++)"
> >[ pinfo.cc from cygwin 1.7.9-1 ]
> Why wouldn't exec(1) be responsible for setting up /proc and
> therefore fill in cmdline with effectively $0 *before* the program
> itself ever got around to calling XrmParseCommand?

The content of /proc is generated on the fly at runtime, as soon
as your application (like procps) opens the file in /proc.  At exec
time there's no storage for this information since we don't have a
background service running all the time.

To fetch the command line of a process, the opening process has to
connect to the requested process via a bi-directional pipe and send a
request for the command line.  In the requested process, a thread
constructs a copy of the __argv array and sends its contents back to the
requesting process through the pipe.  THat's the code Jan inspected.

Thet code always scans through the entire __argv array from 0 to __argc
- 1, irrespectively of some __argv[i] being NULL.  If some __argv[i] is
NULL or has an invalid pointer value, it is set to an empty string.
This fully explains the output of the procps command.  Since XrmParseCommand
changes __argv, but not __argc, the output contains the full number of
arguments, but in the, let's say, "crippled" state it's left when
returning from XrmParseCommand.

This can be easily changed, so that the /proc/$PID/cmdline output stops
as soon as one of the arguments is NULL.  That avoids the weird output,
but it has a disadvantage.

On Linux, /proc/$PID/cmdline always contains the full command line as
it has been when the process got started, irrespectively of changes
after process startup.  It looks like the loader creates a copy of the
argv array before calling main.

Cygwin doesn't generate a copy of the argv array at startup, so the
processes __argv is the one used to call the main function.  And I'm
reluctant to do that since it costs just more time for a process to
start again.

Corinna

Red Hat