Contributing license information?

Luke Kendall luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au
Thu Oct 20 03:49:00 GMT 2011

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 19 11:09, Luke Kendall wrote:
>
>> Soon, I will have prepared a list of the location of every license
>> file in every Cygwin package.  My motivation is to make it easy for
>> people to find the license information, if they need it.
>>
>> (Preparing this information has required a lot of work on my part,
>> so I would be happy if something could be done to make it easy to
>> keep the information up to date as packages are added and modified.)
>>
>> What is the best way to contribute the license-location information
>> so it can be integrated into Cygwin?
>>

> Just create a new package for the distro which keeps the information
> and maintain it.  Somebody will have to keep the information up to date
> anyway.
>

> Corinna

Is usr/share/doc/common-licenses/ within the "base-files" package,
supposed to be the place where all license information is collected?
Should I just use that?

I only today noticed
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-06/msg00275.html

I believe usr/share/doc/common-licenses/ lists many licenses that are
not used in the base-files package.  I say that because it contains over
a dozen licenses, even though base-files otherwise just contains a few
shell scripts and skeleton files from etc/{defaults,postinstall, preremove}.

What do you think?

Regards,

luke