Symbilic links support

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Tue Oct 25 18:16:00 GMT 2011

On 10/25/2011 11:48 AM, Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
> By default git checkout files created as symbolic links on linux
> system as symbolic links. Under windows it does not work.
>
> I expect on cygwin machines after git checkout I will get normal links
> can be readed as 'ls -al' command. But they actually appears as normal
> files.

Does adding this to your ~/.gitconfig help?

[core]
	filemode = true

If so, we need to push back on the upstream git folks to tell them that
their defaults on cygwin are wrong, for any repository that wants to use
symlinks.  Upstream git is playing nasty tricks of trying to go behind
cygwin's back, and use native windows functions instead of stat() for
speed, but as a result of those games, they break symlink support.

I guess I should look into packaging the latest upstream git soon,
anyways, and as part of that packaging, I'll see if I can tweak the
default to avoid the brain-dead upstream "optimization", at least for
out-of-the-box configuration, if that does indeed fix your problem.