Cygwin xterm and emacs-X11 broken in Windows 7

Zdzislaw Meglicki zdzisiekm@sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 20:08:00 GMT 2011

Windows 7 (Enterprise): On X11 startup with startxwin I am getting a message:

   startxwin: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1

The xterm window that pops up knows that it's "xterm" (the value of TERM
variable), but it's not configured properly. Curses don't work. Command
completion (in bash) doesn't work. "Less", "more", "vi" and "view" work like on
an undefined terminal (vi and view don't even want to come up).

This may be a non-X11 issue (a curses/term problem), so I'm cross-posting to
cygwin at cygwin dot com as well.

Perhaps related: in emacs-X11 entering the shell mode (M-x shell) kills the
shell. I just get a prompt, then "exit" and a message

   Process shell finished

This does *not* happen in emacs-nox, neither does this happen in xemacs.

I attach the output of cygcheck -s -r -v.

Zdzislaw Meglicki
Indiana University