How do I run a program compiled in cygwin from a program that is running in a Windows CMD shell?

LMH lmh_users-groups@molconn.com
Thu Sep 15 20:19:00 GMT 2011

As stated, the mno-cygwin flag was depreciated in gcc 4. This was what
you used to link to the windows c runtime instead of the cygwin dll. In
other words, it let you compile with cygwin gcc and then run on a
windows box that didn't have cygwin installed (very useful). Since some
of your issue seemed to be with the cygwin environment, it seemed like
detaching yourself from it at link time might be a good idea. Windows
doesn't' know or care whether the app was compiled under gcc or visual
studio if you used the no-cygwin flag, so I didn't see why it would
matter how or where you called the app, from perl, bash, cmd, etc.

I have never elevated to gcc 4 and have cygwin configured to only
install gcc 3. I am sure you could have both installed and point to one
or the other in your make file depending on what you want. If I remember
right, the no-cygwin flag was depreciated before the "ming compatible
cross compiler" was available, so I stayed with 3 at the time. I also
had issues with 4.1 under linux. I had an app would give different
floating point answers compiled wiht 4.1 compared to 3.4. This seems to
have been fixed by 4.3 and the app compiled under 4.3 gives me the same
answer as 3.4. I don't know if there was a bug in the early 4 versions,
or what. This may have been an issue with gfortran and not gcc since
it's a hybrid app.

I also like the fact that 3 is closed and they aren't constantly
changing the header files and such. It's very annoying to get code that
compiled under an older version and won't compile any more because they
changed 10 different header files and no I have to add 56 ifdef
statements to compile under the new version. Version 3.4 does everything
I need, so I have stuck with it, especially since I know how to cross
compile with it. I suppose I will get around to getting version 4
working, but I have other fish in the pan for now.

It seems like a cross compiled c app to launch your child process would
be more portable, but I will look at the perl more closely later. I'm
off to the dentist for now, fun, fun, fun.

LMH