wtf? rxvt.exe

Fri Sep 16 19:03:00 GMT 2011

On 9/16/2011 2:36 PM, J.V. wrote:
> I had an rxvt.bat that I had used for some time, now it won't work.
>
> What changed?

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rxvt.README

> Also when I use the switch:  -e /usr/bin/bash it takes forever to open.

Sounds like a bash problem, not rxvt.

> It looks like rxvt has changed or some command line switches removed.

No, only new switches (-cd, -uas, -bs) added.

> Is it possible to check out the source code to see the changes and do an
> annotation to see who removed the switches and why it was not make
> backwards compatible?

There have been no switches removed (at least not deliberately).  You
keep talking about "removed the switches" but you have not indicated
what switch you are talking about.

> This is really chewing into my morning development time, to just get a
> freaking terminal to open.

So post the "broken" rxvt.bat so we don't have to guess.

> If anyone has a recent rxvt command line that works very nicely for them
> (login shell so I get all my aliases / paths - .bash_profile settings),
> that would be just fantastic.

rxvt -tn xterm -fn "Lucida Console-16" -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i

WJJFM.

However: rxvt is really really old. And it kindof sux. Upstream
development is DEAD. In the immortal words of Monty Python, "'E's kicked
the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and
joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!"

You'd REALLY be better served using mintty instead. It's actively
maintained, built specifically as a terminal emulator for Cygwin on
Windows (rather than a hackish port of a unix-derived X11-based terminal).

C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -

Then, right-click and set the terminal properties, like any other
"normal" Windows app.

--
Chuck
cygwin-rxvt "maintainer"