argp?

Tue Sep 20 22:53:00 GMT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 04:43:45AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>I'd like to use argp[1] in a Cygwin program, but I see that it's not
>implemented in Cygwin.  The catgets and cpio packages have apparently
>imported it statically into their source, and advice on the net is to
>import their implementations.
>
>Is there a particular reason that argp isn't available in Cygwin, or has it
>just never been important enough for someone to bring it in?  Would people
>be receptive to having it available as a separate package, say libargp?
>
>[1] http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html

Looks like this would have to be implemented from scratch since LGPLed code
is not allowed in Cygwin.  The argp implementation in newlib apparently is
just a copy of the glibc code.

I was going to just pull in any *bsd version of this that I could find but
I don't see a non LGPLed version in freebsd, netbsd, or openbsd.

So:  PTC.

cgf