Permission denied but have permission

BZTSilversleeves sjwright68@charter.net
Thu Sep 22 05:36:00 GMT 2011

Lou U wrote:
> I am a newbie running cygwin on Windows 7. I want to run an installer for
> graphics software, Dislin.
> $./setup.exe
> bash: ./setup.exe Permission denied
> Permissions for setup.exe are -rwxrwxrwx+
> setup will run in a Windows Command window. I'm wondering if that "+" in the
> permissions is a problem. If so, how do I circumvent it? Any help would be
> appreciated.
> Lou
Lou,

cygstart is the command for starting Windows applications from the
command line. Most installers will run from Windows Explorer. I'm
curious to know why you don't just double-click on the item.

That plus sign on the end is Cygwin's way of noting the file "setup.exe"
has ACLs -- permissions of a type native to Windows that aren't _quite
suitable for ready display in a terminal. You can look them up on the
Cygwin site. (There's also the command 'getfacl <file>', but IMO its
output is a little abstruse for newbie Cygwin users).

Helpful? Good.

SW