Bogus dependencies in libtool .la files for libgtk2.0-devel-2.20.1-1, libpango1.0-devel-1.28.1-1

Dave Korn dave.korn.cygwin@gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:36:00 GMT 2011

On 25/09/2011 18:41, jojelino wrote:

> The problem is from pango/opentype/libharfbuzz.la
> It has .cc source and recognized as needed c++ source file although it
> is c source. and cc source is compiled with --tag=CXX
> we should teach libtool cc is c source file.

  Or upstream should add an explicit --tag=CC, or rename the file extension.
Good catch, that certainly ties in with what that link I found was saying.

  Hmm, there are two harfbuzzes, one old, one new; one has .cc files, the
other .cpp files.  It appears that they both do actually use C++ features, but
perhaps in a limited way; as long as they don't throw exceptions or use RTTI
or any of the standard C++ library functions, they could not need linking
against libstdc at all.  In that case maybe upstream's solution would be to
add "-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" to the CXXFLAGS and "--tag=CC" to the LDFLAGS.
 Don't know which code base the distro package is based on though; let's wait
and see what Yaakov has to say.

    cheers,
      DaveK