input delay issues

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Apr 3 19:32:00 GMT 2012

Am 02.04.2012 22:56, schrieb Christopher Faylor:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:46:51PM +0200, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> When input is typed-ahead, on a Unix or Linux systems it will be
>> buffered and used as soon as an application looks for it. Try this:
>> - Run a slow command (e.g. sleep 5)
>> - Type "abc" while running
>> On Linux, "abc" will be echoed on the screen (disturbing output if there
>> is any). After the command terminates, the shell will look for input,
>> find "abc" and redisplay it properly on the command line.
>>
>> In the cygwin console, "abc" remains invisible while the command is
>> running, but it is redisplayed afterwards.
>> In mintty, "abc" is echoed while typed-ahead, but is *not* read and
>> echoed by the shell after the command terminates. Only after you then
>> type another character, the whole command line is refreshed.
> Yes.  The console is a windows device and that's the way that Windows
> works.  Doing it anyway else would mean keeping a separate thread in
> Cygwin and essentially adding back CYGWIN=tty, which we're obviously
> not going to do.
OK, so there is a clear background explaining the console behavior;
however, I described it only for completeness and to compare, the actual
problem is with mintty/xterm/urxvt: Input which is available is not
being detected - this is likely to be a problem with select() or
O_NONBLOCKed read() (whichever bash uses) or both.
Thomas