telnet to newsgroup

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Apr 5 17:46:00 GMT 2012

On 4/5/2012 10:14 AM, John wrote:
> Hello. I read on another list about how one (presumably) Linux user connects
> to newsgroups using one of two different methods on the command line. If I
> am not mistaken, both use telnet.  The two different commands he used to
> illustrate them are these:
>
> You can use STARTTLS on the nntp port (119):
>
>    $ echo -e 'HELP\nQUIT\n' | nc news.gmane.org nntp | grep TLS
>      STARTTLS
>    $
>
> or you can connect to the nntps port (563):
>
>    $ gnutls-cli --insecure -p nntps news.gmane.org | grep 200
>    200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.1 ready (posting ok)
>    QUIT
>    $
>

> The second of these is using a program called "gnutls-cli", which is that is
> available to cygwin. I have cygwin on my system and I tied using the command
> at the Windows command prompt exactly like this:
>
> gnutls-cli --insecure -p nntps news.gmane.org | grep 200
>
> It did not work but I got an error back:
>
>   "Cannot resolve news.gmane.org:nntps: servname not supported
> for the ai_socktype."
>
> What am I missing in order to make this work?  Thanks.

Cygwin creates a symlink for /etc/services ->
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/services. I don't find an entry
for nttps in /etc/services, really
WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services. I do find it on Linux:

    Linux:grep nttps /etc/services
    nntps           563/tcp                         # NNTP over SSL

    Cygwin:grep nttps /etc/services
    Cygwin:

You could try adding the line to /etc/services or somehow specifying
port 563 to gnutls-cli.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Cranial-rectal inversion disorder - a condition where one's head is