telnet to newsgroup

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Apr 6 02:30:00 GMT 2012

On 4/5/2012 4:40 PM, John wrote:
> Okay, I substituted 563 for nntps in the command like this:
>
> gnutls-cli --insecure -p 563 news.gmane.org | grep 200
>
> And it now works correctly. Exactly the same response from his linux system
> was returned in my cygwin environment:
>
> 200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.1 ready (posting ok)
Good.
> Am I understanding that this is an encrypted Telnet connection to gmane's news server? Is the reason for the option "--insecure" needed because this is not an authenticated logon? Thanks.
It's not a telnet connection. You're not using telnet! You're using
gnutls-cli, which is not telnet. As for what gnutls-cli's --insecure
option means you should consult it's man page. I don't have gnutls-cli
installed but this (http://linux.die.net/man/1/gnutls-cli) says:

--insecure
   Don't abort program if server certificates can't be validated.

--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Disk Full - Press F1 to belch.