telnet to newsgroup

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Apr 6 05:27:00 GMT 2012

On 04/05/2012 09:35 PM, John wrote:
>> It's not a telnet connection. You're not using telnet! You're using
>> gnutls-cli, which is not telnet.
> Fair enough, I like clarity too.  More precisely I could say that it is a
> secure form of telnet-like communication, similar to OpenSSL or Putty,
> perhaps. What do you think?
I think that telnet is telnet(1) or /bin/telnet and it normally connects
to another machine starting up an interactive shell session but it can
also connect to any other port and as such generally serves as a way to
have a primitive "conversation" with a "listener" (AKA service) on the
other end hence the telnet <machine> 25 or telnet <machine> 80. But it
is not similar to OpenSSH or Putty. While you could ssh to a non
standard port I believe ssh will, at least by default, encrypt traffic
thus making it utterly useless as a primitive "I'll just connect to the
SMTP port of that machine and speak 'SMTP' to it" usage.

Hey, you asked what I thought...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.