Can RPM packages be installed into Cygwin?

De-Jian Zhao dejian.zhao@gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 05:48:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-4-10 8:30, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> De-Jian Zhao sent the following at Monday, April 09, 2012 11:12 AM

>>> i686.rpm is not the source package, is the binary for linux on 686
>>> processor.
>>> On cygwin we do not use rpm for building packages so the source rpm
>>> file will unlikely work.
>>>
>>> The source for all platforms is
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/executables/blast+/LATEST/ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-src.tar.gz
>>>
>> On 2012-4-8 14:47, marco atzeri wrote: Thank you, Marco. I tried that
>> version. Unfortunately, the compilation always stopped at "checking
>> python" even after python was installed. It seems to me that it is a
>> tough work to rebuild a software from the source code under Cygwin. The
>> dependency is hard to satisfy.
>>
>> I am curious about the utility rpm under Cygwin environment. When
>> running the setup.exe, I noticed that there is a rpm package. (Search for
>> "rpm" at the stage of "Select Packages" when running setup.exe, you can
>> find the package under "Utils Default".) Then what is it for?
> Looking at the blast directory, they have a source rpm.  Perhaps some source
> code is only available as an rpm?
>
> For what it is worth, I tried compiling and it seemed to compile OK when I
> used "./configure --without-boost" (recommended by make after a simple
> "./configure".  "make check" passed two of three tests.  YMMV.  As I did not
> install any dependencies, maybe you could do better.
>
> Also, I noted that ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/executables/blast+/LATEST/
> contains some windows binaries.  You might consider using them as native
> binaries usually run faster than cygwin binaries.
>
> Also, note that there is a folder ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-src/c++/compilers/cygwin.
> I didn't notice it until after I tried compiling.  You might try to figure out
> whether the scripts there help you compile blast.
>
> IMPORTANT: I'm not a programmer, I don't work at NCBI, I have no experience in
> bioinformatics and have certainly never used BLAST.  DO NOT assume that I know
> anything about this more than what I reported above.  I was intrigued and did
> an experiment - that is all.
>
> Good luck.
>
> - Barry
>    Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.
>    Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NCBI.
>    Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NLM.
>    Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIH.
>    Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of PHS.
>    Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of DHHS.

Thank you, Barry. I tried the file c++/compilers/cygwin/build.sh but
failed. I wrote to the help desk of NCBI Blast+. They have no guidelines
for Cygwin users and also suggested the windows version. Actually, I am
using the windows version now. The only shortcoming is that the windows
binaries do not recognize the linux-like Cygwin path, so the soft links
to the blast databases become invalid. I have to change to the directory
of the Blast database every time I want to run blast search. Anyway, it
works although a bit inconvenient. Thanks again for your help.