Can RPM packages be installed into Cygwin?

De-Jian Zhao dejian.zhao@gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:14:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-4-17 13:58, Linda Walsh wrote:
> De-Jian Zhao wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I noticed that there is a command - rpm - under Cygwin 1.7. Does that
>> mean RPM packages can be installed into Cygwin?
>>
>> I tried to install ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3.i686.rpm (see:
>> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/executables/blast+/LATEST/ ) into
>> Cygwin 1.7.13 with the command "install -i
>> ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3.i686.rpm". However, error message appeared as
>> below. libc.so.6, libdl.so.2,  libm.so.6,  libnsl.so.1, and
>> libz.so.1. Where can I get these libs? Thanks!
>>
>> $ rpm -i ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3.i686.rpm
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>         /usr/bin/perl is needed by ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3
>>         libbz2.so.1 is needed by ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3
>>         libc.so.6 is needed by ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3
>>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) is needed by ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3
>>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) is needed by ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3
>>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 02:03:29PM +0800, De-Jian Zhao wrote:
>
> > It seems that the compilation under Cygwin is more complicated than
> > expected.
>
> This has nothing to do with cygwin.
>
> It is 'rpm' looking for installed dependencies in the rpm database.
>
> Since everything was installed with 'setup.exe' which keeps it's own
> 'database', rpm thinks nothing is installed.
>
> You need to make sure the versions required by the rpm are installed
> by setup,
> then you can build from a ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3.src.rpm
>                                                ^^^
>
> The i686.rpm package is prebuilt for "some" platform (you would have
> to know
> which from the download -- i.e. one built for suse won't necessarily
> run on redhat, or ubuntu...  or other combinations.   Ones that do
> will be statically
> built and will be usable on some range of OS-versions of some
> particular OS.
> Since rpm is a linux thing, it would be built for the linux OS... so
> double-screw.  Wrong OS, wrong executable format...etc...   look for a
> corresponding .src. rpm, OR as someone else already suggested, look
> for the
> 'tar' that the is included in the ".src".  -- in fact, if you have the
> .src.,
> usually the .tar. file they build from is packed into it (then patches
> and OS
> specific stuff is applied), so you can often just take the tar from
> your src.rpm
> and move it to cygwin, and run it directly if it has a "configure"
> script.
>
> it might also have something like "bootstrap.sh" (or bootstrap
> something) that will produce a configure script -- that will usually
> allow you to build an executable that will work on your platform (in
> this case cygwin) -- but you
> will still have to have _needed_ dependencies installed (like
> development packages from cygwin for some of the above).

> [...]

Thank you, Linda. When I saw the error message after installing some
packages to satisfy the dependencies, I was wondering why the rpm
package still complained about the already installed packages. I was not
aware that cygwin and rpm were not sharing the 'database'. Thank you for
making it clear to me.I will try the src.rpm when I am free.

DJ