Can RPM packages be installed into Cygwin?

De-Jian Zhao dejian.zhao@gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 16:06:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-4-18 22:03, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:13:20PM +0800, De-Jian Zhao wrote:
>> On 2012-4-17 13:58, Linda Walsh wrote:
>>> [snip]
>> Thank you, Linda.  When I saw the error message after installing some
>> packages to satisfy the dependencies, I was wondering why the rpm
>> package still complained about the already installed packages.  I was
>> not aware that cygwin and rpm were not sharing the 'database'.  Thank
>> you for making it clear to me.I will try the src.rpm when I am free.
> So with all of the back and forth about this, you never realized that
> Cygwin's setup.exe doesn't use RPM?  Wow.  Wasn't the fact that there
> are no .rpm files in the distribution a big enough clue?
>
> cgf

I never expect setup.exe will use rpm packages. There is a rpm command
in Cygwin. I just thought it could be used to install a rpm package.

The rpm package complained about dependencies during installation. I did
think that the dependency could be solved by installing proper packages
through setup.exe. But after installing some libraries through
setup.exe, the rpm package still complained the same as before. It
seemed that the rpm package did not see the installed libraries at all.