Why /usr/bin/*.dll must be executable?

Tue Apr 24 16:49:00 GMT 2012

On 4/23/2012 8:19 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> On 4/23/2012 6:12 PM, Richard Troy wrote:
>>
>> what on earth would --login have to do with where
>> the dlls are found?
>
> Without that, you don't run the profile files[*], so you get the Windows
> PATH[**] which is clearly insufficient in your situation.
>
> Somewhere in one of these files is a line of code that adds the directory
> containing the problem DLL to your PATH.

And the path needed to find DLLs that are provided by the distribution
is added in '/etc/profile'.  The template for this file can be found in
'/etc/defaults/etc'.  This file is sourced by default for a login shell.

I can't explain why you might see a difference on W7 with this though,
unless your non-W7 machines added Cygwin paths in the Windows environment
(via cygwin.bat, the control panel that Warren pointed out, or other
scripting files that are part of the your process Richard).

--
Larry