cygwin: starting cygwin gvim from windows program (e.g. outlook) report "cygwin1.dll is missing"

Sun Aug 5 13:01:00 GMT 2012

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 12:34:25AM -0400, ping wrote:
>folks/experts:
>I just successfully recompiled vim with GUI support under cygwin.
>so now gvim is OK if I launch it from cygwin terminal (yes I have X running)
>then I'm trying to make it the default text editor for my window7
>application
>(like outlook, to open attachment), but then I got a dialog saying:
>"the program can't start because cygwin1.dll is missing from your computer.
>Try installing the program to fix this problem."
>the same thing happened when I try launch gvim from a dos terminal.
>is there any known solution for this?
>I did some research but can't solve it.

The "known solution" would be to add the directory where the cygwin DLL
resides (probably c:\cygwin\bin) to your Windows PATH environment
variable.

An even better solution would be to just install the standard gvim via
setup.exe.