cygwin: how to mount linux FS from cygwin

Tom Schutter t.schutter@comcast.net
Thu Aug 9 13:56:00 GMT 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:30:28 -0400, cgf wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:23:29AM -0400, ping wrote:
>>so I'm now using dokan sshfs GUI tool to mount remote linux server FS
>>via ssh, everything (mostly) works, except:
>>
>>1) it's a GUI based tool, I don't see any command line options
>>2) somehow I can't save the previous data, after pressing "save" button,
>>it pop up a warning dialog below.
>>
>>please share some thought if anyone experienced the same.
>
>No, please go somewhere else to get thoughts on the "dokan sshfs GUI tool".
>Presumably, they have a forum for dealing with users.  You should use it.
>
>This is off-topic here.

Actually it is not off-topic.  From the error message that cgf clipped:

  System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'tmp' Key being added: 'tmp'
  <cut>
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type)

If you read the thread at
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-03/msg00375.html , you will see that
the dokan sshfs tool is crashing while apparently attempting to
process the environment variables setup by Cygwin.  The environment
contains both 'tmp' and 'Tmp' environment variables which is OK in a
*nix context but not expected by Windows applications.

Any .NET application running on a stock Cygwin installation that uses
XmlSerializer will get bit by this bear trap.

One solution is to upgrade to base-files-4.1-2.  The other is to write
a wrapper program that cleans up the environment before calling the
dokan sshfs GUI tool.

--
Tom Schutter