App runs 8x slower on dual core machine (with test case to replicate issue)

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Aug 10 03:56:00 GMT 2012

--------------
--
I can confirm the perl test case:

Using the referenced prog:
on Linux:
cyg-perl-thread-test.pl
This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 2 (v5.14.2) built for
x86_64-linux-thread-multi
Processing 10 tasks in 1 threads completed in 0.468952secs
Processing 10 tasks in 4 threads completed in 0.156822secs
cat /proc/cpuinfo/Hz|sort |uniq
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5660  @ 2.80GHz
cpu MHz         : 1596.000

On Cygwin:
This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 2 (v5.14.2) built for
cygwin-thread-multi-64int
Processing 10 tasks in 1 threads completed in 1.060806secs
Processing 10 tasks in 4 threads completed in 9.640635secs
/Users/law> cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep Hz|sort -r |uniq
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5680  @ 3.33GHz
cpu MHz         : 3325

---
Note -- neither of my cpu's have "HT" enabled.. So in both
cases 'threads' must use separate processes...