Side-by-side configuration is incorrect reported as permission denied

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Mon Aug 13 15:40:00 GMT 2012

>> There was an error message that cmd showed that bash did not. To me
>> that's suppression.
> This is nonsense and you know it.
It's not nonsense. It's 100% accurate. What in my statement above is not
the truth?
>>> It's not that the OS generates an error message and cmd lets it slip
>>> through while Cygwin (or bash) "suppress" it.  It's the CreateProcess
>>> call which generates an error code ERROR_SXS_CANT_GEN_ACTCTX and cmd
>>> printing the connected error message, just like bash gets an error code
>>> EACCES and prints the connected error message "Permission denied".
>> Plumbing and mechanics aside, I'm just saying the user should be
>> told the underlying problem. If ERROR_SXS_CANT_GEN_ACTCTX is the
>> error code could ya at least print that as a string? It would give
>> the user a fighting change and finding a solution...
> Plumbing and mechanics is the way to solve the problem.
Right, that's makes it the implementors problem, plumbing and mechanics
are implementation details - not the users...
> If you don't want to leave the user-only perspective, we will have a hard time to
> find a solution.
"We" are not finding a solution. "You" might be. "I'm" just reporting
the problem. Now, does everybody have their roles straight? ;-)

Oh, and I fully expect it will not be solved. But I thought I'd report
it nonetheless. My "side by side" problem has been fixed. I just think
you should do a better job reporting more accurate error message so that
users can more easily fix them. I didn't realize, but should have
realized, that in this world it seems to be considered a crime...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Do fish get cramps after eating?