Promote sqlite 3.7.13-1 from test status? (was: Updated: sqlite3-3.7.13-1)

Thu Aug 16 09:03:00 GMT 2012

On Aug 16 07:41, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Warren Young <warren <at> etr-usa.com> writes:
> > I haven't heard peep one from either side about this release on this
> > list.  (For contrast, I've gotten several positive responses in my
> > answer to the question about this on Stack Overflow[1].)
>
> Sorry, I've been swamped with other stuff...
>
> > Silence = happiness, then? :)
>
> The original bug is back, although it behaves even more wierd than before.  The
> error now happens _only_ when run as normal user _and_ not under strace or gdb.
>
> $ sqlite3
> SQLite version 3.7.13 2012-06-11 02:05:22
> Enter ".help" for instructions
> Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
> sqlite> CREATE TEMP TABLE two (id INTEGER NOT NULL, name CHAR(64) NOT NULL );
> Error: unable to open database file
> sqlite>
>
> Since I can't reproduce the problem in the debugger anymore, it will be
> difficult to impossible to find out what's causing this (at least for me).  Just
> like the problem with TortoiseSVN these are indications IMHO that there's a race
> somewhere between calls from the Cygwin DLL and Windows file locking functions.

Cygwin does not use Windows mandatory locking.  The locking is entirely
implemented within the Cygwin DLL and is only advisory, as is befitting
for a POSIX envionment.  If you try to use the same file with a
non-Cygwin tool using Windows locking in parallel with a Cygwin tool,
you will get into trouble.  The mandatory Windows locking will always
win and the Cygwin tool will fail.

Corinna

Red Hat