Which version of cygwin 'rock solid'

Sun Aug 19 19:00:00 GMT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 01:17:24PM +0400, Andrey Khalyavin wrote:
>On 08/17/2012 04:13 PM, Devin Nate wrote:
>> My question, of the Cygwin users (or developers), which version would you select if your goal was maximum stability?
>
>Our experience is that they are all not particularly reliable (we
>haven't checked all 1.7.* versions though). If you want
>to make your script more stable, add retry logic and make it as more
>serial as possible.

The best way to achieve stability in Cygwin or any software project is
by offering up some effort and providing good bug reports and test cases
so that we can fix problems.  That would tend to make the latest version
the most stable.

Even better would be to gain understanding in how Cygwin works and offer
improvements yourself.

>Unless you want to create your own version of cygwin of course. You
>can try to backport all important crash and bug fixes
>to an older version. Then the most recent versions (1.7.15 and 1.7.16)
>are probably the best since backports will be easier.

That would be a continuing battle and it would also be rather selfish.
If you are going to gain enough knowledge to figure out what's important
and how to backport it you might as well do the rest of the world some
good too and help improve things for the real Cygwin project rather than
your fork of it.

cgf