Fw: Re: Need help creating a script that is ran from a batch file.

Brian Wilson wilson@ds.net
Tue Aug 21 01:51:00 GMT 2012

Hi Michael

The Cygwin general group is probably not the best place to get help with
scripting. Places like LinkedIn.com's discussion boards would be a better
place for tutoring.  That said, there's nothing special about a script versus
the commands you type in online.

Take the command you would normally run put
them into a file with a editor such as VI, or Emacs (if you absolutely must),
and give the file execute permissions. Congratulations you've just written
your first script.

For use of things like variables and other options, I
suggest you find a good book on either bash shell, or I like the book "the
Korn shell command and programming language" by Korn and Bolsky [ISBN 0-13-
516972-0]. Much of what you can do in Korn shell can also be done in the bash
shell (from a scripting perspective).

Sincerely,

Brian S. Wilson

> I know very little about creating a script under cygwin. I have a
> particular tack that doesn't change and I'm running it manually. I'm
> thinking that since it doesn't change that it could be automated. As
> you can see below I'm compiling three programs and the last program
> is my executable.
>
> The first time I setup the cygwin environment it doesn't need to
> 'make clean'. I'm not sure if it hurts to run 'make clean' if it
> doesn't need to. Maybe a check in place would be prudent if it
> shouldn't be running 'make clean if it doesn't need to?
>
> Here are the commands I run from within cygwin:
>
> Open the Cygwin terminal
>
> cd /cygdrive/e/development/cygwin/mysql-5.5.25a/
> make clean
> perl cmake/configure.pl
> make && make mysqlclient && make install
>
> cd /cygdrive/e/development/cygwin/postgresql-9.1.4/
> make clean
> ./configure
> make && make install
>
> cd /cygdrive/e/development/cygwin/barnyard2/
> make clean
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --with-mysql --with-postgresql
> make && make install
>
> When it completesw the process I need it to create a folder and copy
> all the prudent files and folder. I'm not sure if the below are
> correct syntax.
>
> mkdir /cygdrive/e/cygwin/barn/
>
> cp /cygdrive/e/cygwin/barnyard2/src/.libs/barnyard2.exe
/cygdrive/e/cygwin/barn