Password prompts for remote system echoing and not attaching

Wed Aug 29 19:52:00 GMT 2012

On 8/29/2012 2:48 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:

>>> You have two alternatives here:
>>>
>>>    1. Install the inetutils package so you're using the Cygwin FTP client
>>>       (or pick an alternative Cygwin package offering your favorite FTP
>>>        client).
>>>
>>>    2. Continue to use the Windows FTP client but only do so from a shell
>>>       prompt started from cmd.exe (i.e. no Mintty, xterm, etc).
>>
>> Again: cmd.exe and console windows are different things. Invoking
>> bash.exe (or tcsh.exe, or zsh.exe, or ...) directly from an Explorer
>> shortcut or the Run dialog or whatever will work just fine, with
>> Windows automatically creating a console window for it. No cmd.exe
>> needed there.
>
> Right, the issue is the PTY emulation issue that no one can do
> anything about.  The Cygwin dependent terminal programs like mintty
> and rxvt cause the issue because of the buffering used in the pipes
> opened to native program.  The native programs do not flush properly
> the I/O and thus you get garbage.  So therefore a native terminal
> (a.k.a. console window) works because the buffering doesn't occur.

Yeah, though buffering isn't the problem here.  It's that the password
is rendered in the clear as you type it by the Windows FTP client if
you run it from a Cygwin terminal.  This is why I suggested *not*
running it from a Cygwin terminal if Mike really wants the Windows
FTP client.  Whether the Windows FTP client is run in a console or
cmd.exe is really, in this case, inconsequential.  Both will work
for the work-flow Mike describes.  The key take-away from the original
post is that the Windows FTP client is being used, not the Cygwin one.
That's why I mentioned using the Cygwin one as another alternative to
avoid the observed behavior of the Windows FTP client with Cygwin
terminals.

--
Larry