Updated: emacs*-24.2.90-1 (TEST)

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Dec 6 21:01:00 GMT 2012

On 12/6/2012 1:47 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> emacs-w32 shouldn't require dbus-daemon, as far as I know.  This
>> sounds like a bug.  Could you give me a specific recipe for
>> reproducing the problem?
>
> Just make sure Cygwin has cleanly terminated, then open a mintty (I use
> tcsh if that has a bearing on this bug) and start emacs-w32 from it.
> Toggle the menu bar if it's not already on an select File->Open from it.
> Open another mintty and try to kill the hanging emacs process from it.
> Then use the task mamanger to really kill it and get a "broken pipe"
> message in the second mintty.  Now dbus-launch in the first mintty and
> set the two environment variables (btw, here's another bug: if you
> specify csh-style, you'll get the first one for csh alright, but the
> second one is still in shell syntax).  Start emacs-w32 again and observe
> that you now get a functional W32 file open dialog.  You can also kill
> emacs from the second mintty with no ill effects (well, poor emacs dies,
> but that's expected).

I can reproduce this.  (I use bash, so tcsh isn't the issue.)  I'll see
if I can debug it, but I'm copying Daniel in the hope that he gets to it
first.

I'm not sure about the dbus-launch issue, since I always use bash.  But
here's the output I get from `dbus-launch --csh-syntax':

setenv DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
'unix:path=/tmp/dbus-wCGlBfQgo6,guid=f3e1dad82fc7ce9eff209b9300000000';
set DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=5020;

What's the problem with that?  As I understand csh syntax, the second
line sets a variable but doesn't export it.  Do you have some reason to
think that's the wrong thing to do?  If so, it's a D-bus issue and
should be reported in a different thread.

>>> manager (the Gtk build will also hang up on you in a slightly different way
>>> after you close the dialog box it has shown).  I believe this is related to pipe
>>> handling as you'll get messages about broken pipes sometimes.
>>
>> Again, please send a recipe for producing the problem with the Gtk build.
>
> Same thing as above, just with emacs-gtk, after having started
> multiwindow X11 and setting DISPLAY environment in the shell.  Unless
> dbus is started and emacs can connect to it, emacs hangs up when you
> cancel the file open dialog (obviously from Gtk).

I don't see the issue here.  I said in the release announcement that you
need to have a D-Bus daemon running before starting emacs-X11 under X.

> One other thing: how to tell this emacs apart from the Gtk build so that
> I can switch the default font for each?

I'm out of time right now, but I'll be able to answer this later.  Just
to make sure I understand, you want to be able to do this in your
~/.emacs, right?

Ken