ps questions --

Sun Dec 16 05:15:00 GMT 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 10:46:24PM -0500, Paul Townsend wrote:
>In the
>
>http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00477.html
>
>message, I found
>
>- Two changes in the `ps -W' output.  `ps -W' now prints all processes on
>  the machine when running under an (elevated) administrator account,
>  not only the processes in the current session.
>
>Shouldn't the above restriction be documented in the `ps' man page?
>
>Question1 - why the "administrative" restriction?  The normal user seems
>to be able to run the Task Manager as him/herself and all of the running
>processes are listed.  Is there a silent privilege escalation there
>somewhere in the Task Manager process that allows the "full" listing?
>I do note that the Task Manager seems to be able to kill just about any
>process.
>
>Question2 - the UID of the Windows processes is listed as 0 in the
>`ps -W' output so is there a way to acquire and print it?  Task Manager
>does know the owner so there must be a Windows function to get it.

I'm sure there is but I doubt that anyone is particularly interested in
adding this functionality.

>Question3 - the PPID of the Windows process is listed as 0 also.  I did
>find some functions at Microsoft that could be used for that purpose.
>Are they available within the Cygwin code?

No.

The listing of windows processes in Cygwin ps is basically "as-is".
What you see is what you get.  If you are looking for a robust
command-line utility for listing Windows processes, I'm sure there are
better tools than Cygwin's ps.

cgf