trouble accessing samba shares with spaces and/or parentheses

bartels bartels@mailme.ath.cx
Fri Dec 21 17:01:00 GMT 2012

> On Dec 21 17:20, bartels wrote:
>> $ net use Q: "$(cygpath -w '//macau/X32 Backup-4(WD)')" "bartels" /user:"bartels"
>> The command completed successfully.
>>
>> $ ls q:/
>> ls: cannot access q:/: Input/output error
> Please don't use DOS paths.  Use POSIX paths like /cygdrive/q instead:
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#pathnames-win32

Naturally, I tried all flavours:

$ ls /cygdrive/q/
ls: cannot access /cygdrive/q/: Input/output error

> Works fine for me using a Linux Samba share with space in it.

Okay, that leaves the parentheses as the likely troublemaker.
The thing is, people bring in disks, and I have no control over their volume / share names.

Any more ideas? Where's Santa when you need him ;-)

- bartels