Windows 7 x64 - Postinstall script errors - Cygwin V 1.7.9-1

Robert Miles robertmiles@bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 4 21:10:00 GMT 2012

On 2/3/2012 12:01 PM, Tim Prince wrote:
>  On 02/03/2012 12:39 PM, Carbonera, Carlos wrote:
>>
>> Problem 1. I am not able to install Cygwin on Windows 7 x64. I get
>> the following errors at the end of the installation:
>>

>> "Postinstall script errors
>>
>> Upon finishing the installation, I do not obtain the CYGWIN icon on
>> my desktop as I requested, and the only two applications that appear
>> on my "All Programs/Cygwin" folder are related to the application
>> urxvtc-X.exe.
>>

>> Problem 2: I cannot find the application that starts the X-Server.  I
>> found the CYGWIN.bat file and created a shortcut on my desktop. The
>> CYGWIN bash application seems to be working.
>>

>>   I am using startxwin to start the X-Server; is this the the
>> recommended method?
>>

> Did you use the current startup.exe recommended on cygwin.com?
> startxwin works for me, but it's messy with lots of warnings.  The new
> installation should give you an xwin icon on the startup menu. which
> puts a menu icon in the hidden icons, with xserver among the selections.

How do you switch to the new startup.exe?  Every time I try to use the
Cygwin startup.exe, it tells me it has found a new file that might not
be compatible with the startup.exe I'm using, but does not give enough
useful information on how to switch to a newer version.

--

Robert Miles