perl fork error: child_info_fork::abort: data segment start: - example code!

Wed Feb 8 14:27:00 GMT 2012

On Feb  8 13:59, Heiko Elger wrote:
> We use Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.x!

Uh oh.

> Yes - I know it is a BLODA - but please go  on reading - my company want to
> contact Symantec cause of these ERRORs.
>
> The following simple perl script will produce the following error:
> ***** snip snip snip ***
> [...]
> ********* snip snip snip ****************
>
> 1.)
> Symantec is installed and is running but it is complete deactivated with
> context menu.
> What does this error mean - please a little bit in delail?
> 0 [main] perl 8916 child_info_fork::abort: data segment start: parent
> (0xC1A000) != child(0xA6A000)

The code checks if the data and bss segments of a given DLL, which was
already loaded by the parent process, is in the same spot in the child
process.  If not, the DLL has been loaded into another address in the
child, which will likely result in a nonfunctional forked process.

> So why I will get this error - only cause of symantec?

Perhaps.  Probably.  I'm not sure.  However, the above addresses
0xC1A000 and 0xA6A000 are *very* unlikely DLL load addresses in a
Windows system.  Usually DLLs are loaded at addresses beyond
0x10000000, preferredly to the address stored in the DLL header.
As I said , I don't no if SEP is really the culprit here, but at
least the address are weird.  And...

> If uninstalling SEP all works fine.

...that's kind of a clue.

Corinna