sed strips CRs

Paolo Bonzini bonzini@gnu.org
Mon Feb 13 19:49:00 GMT 2012

On 02/13/2012 08:42 PM, John Cowan wrote:
>> > By the way, I'm still opening the script file with "rt".  I cannot think
>> > of any case when you would want to keep CRs there.
> You wouldn't, but the point is that "rt" isn't defined on Posix systems.
> If it happens to be the same as "r", good, but that isn't guaranteed.

Yes, I added a configure-time check too.  I assume that if "rt" works,
it can be used instead of "r".

> And the only time "rt" does anything different from "r" on a Win32 system
> is when you have:
>
> 1) linked your executable with the system-supplied 'binmode.obj' file
>
> 2) set the global variable _fmode to O_BINARY
>
> 3) invoked _set_fmode(O_BINARY)
>
> all of which make "r" synonymous with "rb".  Programs which don't do any
> of these should use "r" rather than "rt", as it is guaranteed to do the
> right thing for text on both Win32 and Posix systems.

No, "rt" also does something different than "r" on Cygwin with
binary-mounts.

If you meant that "rt" should be restricted to cygwin, that's also fine
by me but in general I prefer feature tests to OS tests.

Paolo