File permissions problems with cp in Windows 7

Thu Feb 16 14:23:00 GMT 2012

On 2/16/2012 5:50 AM, Tom Quarendon wrote:
> I am a member of the local administrators.
> It actually sounds like noacl is what we would want here. We are just
> using Cygwin shell as a basis for our build environment for ease of
> portability, but we're using Visual Studio etc, not building Cygwin
> executables. Not sure why I would actually want posix permissions for what
> we're doing.

For one thing, stats and the like can be slower since things like executable
permissions have to be determined by inspection.  But there are other mount
flags that can help with that.  So, there are trade-offs.

> Noacl certainly fixed the problem, however it would be good to
> understand  why it happens.
> In your attempt to reproduce, what does he getfacl show for the root
> /cygdrive/c directory? That seemed to be where the issue lay. Not sure
> whether what I see is to be expected.

Yeah, sorry.  I glossed over that.

$ getfacl /
# file: /