base-files 4.0-9: LANG is set to the system default, why not the user selection?

David Sastre Medina d.sastre.medina@gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 22:22:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:46:46PM +0100, Peter Rosin wrote:
> David Sastre Medina skrev 2012-02-16 21:05:
> As I understand it, base-files contains the file
> /etc/defaults/etc/skel/.bash_profile.
> At installation, /etc/postinstall/base-files.sh copies that to
> /etc/skel/.bash_profile, if it that file doesn't exist already.
> Then at uninstall, if /etc/preremove/base-files.sh finds that
> /etc/skel/.bash_profile is not changed, it is removed (so that
> an updated package feels free to copy over the new version).
>
> Further, when a user *first* logs in, /etc/skel/.bash_profile
> is copied to ~/.bash_profile by the /etc/profile script.  At no
> other point are files in ~ modified, as I understand it.  The
> way I read your explanation above, you are implying that your
> ~/.bash_profile is updated along with /etc/skel/.bash_profile,
> and I simply fail to see where that is happening.  It is also
> counter to the message from /etc/profile (also quoted by Mike):
>
>   Copying skeleton files.
>   These files are for the users to personalise their cygwin experience.
>
>   They will never be overwritten nor automatically updated.

This describes the whole process accurately.

> I.e. my /etc/skel/.bash_profile is version 4.0-9 as I expect,
> but my ~/.bash_profile is the old 4.0-6 version from when I
> first logged in, and I see no code anywhere that checks if
> ~/.bash_profile matches /etc/skel/.bash_profile and updates
> if it is pristine.
> So, the question remains, why is your
> ~/.bash_profile updated when you upgrade the base-files package?

It is not.
I re-read the whole thread and found where I lead to you assume that:

In http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-02/msg00477.html
I wrote: "Probably you have a customized ~/.bash_profile, so updating to
base-files-4.0-9 didn't replace it."

But I meant: "Probably you have a customized (/etc/skel/).bash_profile, so updating
to base-files-4.0-9 didn't replace it."

That alone lead to the rest of the mess. Sorry.

You need to manually apply changes that happen in skeletal files onto
your $HOME if you want them.
Also, it should have been explicitly emphasized that, for users in your situation
(windows system locale in language A, but user-defined preference to lang B),
a manual change was needed to preserve such config.

--
Huella de clave primaria: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56