1.7.10/1.7.11: .Net programs started from a cygwin console may fail.

Andres Martinelli andres.martinelli@prover.com
Mon Feb 27 16:54:00 GMT 2012

Hi Cygwin,

Many .Net programs that use to run correctly from a cygwin 1.7.9 console
started throwing exceptions after updating to versions 1.7.10/1.7.11. I
have noticed this problem on machines running Windows XP and Vista (32bits).

I attach a very small example that triggers the bug. The example is
written in C#, and requires the .Net framework versions 2.0 or 3.5.

How to reproduce:

1) Compile the example with
         csc bug.cs

     The c# compiler (csc), can be usually found in
         C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\csc.exe
     or C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\csc.exe

2) Run the resulting bug.exe from a cygwin 1.7.10/1.7.11 console. It
throws an exception.

3) Run bug.exe from a native windows console (or a cygwin 1.7.9
console). It runs without producing any output, and without throwing any
exceptions.

Be aware that the bug is not triggered if the example is compiled with
the .Net framework 4.0.

Best regards,
Andrés Martinelli